Have you ever thought of making teriyaki sauce at home instead of buying the convenient bottled version from the grocery store? Well, if you have, this article is for you.
In this article, I will show you how to cook teriyaki dishes from scratch and also the recipes that go well with teriyaki sauce. Don’t worry, things will be broken down into simple steps. And more importantly, don’t be lazy!
Now, let’s dive in!
Table of Contents
What to Prepare Before Cooking Teriyaki Sauce?
Before cooking, you must prepare. It’s an essential step for anyone to start cooking. What to have before heat the pan and make teriyaki? Here is the list:
- 1 cup of water
- 4 tbsp of brown sugar (add more or less accordingly to your taste)
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of honey (you can have 2 tbsp if you are a fan of honey)
- 10g of minced garlic
- 5g of ground ginger
- 2 tbsp of cornstarch
You can have some of the ingredients from your own garden or may easily find the others in the local store. Make sure you have all of these ingredients before getting started with the first cooking step.
Step-by-step Guide on How to Make Your Own Teriyaki Sauce
Now, everything is prepared, I guess. Here comes the step-by-step guide on how to create your own teriyaki sauce:
- 1Heat the pot/ pan (or any cookware you use to cook the sauce). Medium heat only.
- 2When the pot/ pan is heated, combine water, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic and ginger altogether and whisk nicely.
- 3Combine the cornstarch with some water to make a nice mixture and then pour the mixture into the cooking sauce.
- 4Whisk nicely until the sauce thickens as you desire. Add more water if the color is too dark or the sauce is too thick.
Now, the sauce is ready to serve. What should be expected out of the making? I think that the sauce should have the right thickness (which you want it to) and the color should be silky brown.
*/ Slightly adapted from https://www.tasteandtellblog.com/teriyaki-chicken/
The Legendary Dishes That You Can Make With Teriyaki Sauce
You know how to make the sauce ready when you read up here. This section, I am glad to introduce you 3 of my favorite dish with teriyaki sauce: Teriyaki Chicken, Teriyaki Beef, and Teriyaki Noodles.
I will show you how to cook each of them. Let’s get started!
#1. Teriyaki Chicken
What you need to prepare:
- Teriyaki Sauce (you can make the sauce yourself or choose from this list of great teriyaki sauces on the market).
- 200g of boneless chicken per serving.
- 10g of spring onion
- 4 tbsp of oil
- Pepper (optional)
- 1Slice the chicken into pieces. I like to keep the freshness and pure sweetness from the chicken thigh so I will cut it into 1-inch pieces.
- 2Heat the oil and fry the chicken. Turn the chicken side by side, do not stir it because it may break the chicken. Remember to keep the medium heat.
- 3Pour the teriyaki sauce in and stir nicely until the sauce is smooth and the chicken is crispy brown.
- 4Add some pepper and spring onion as the last finishing touch.
The dish now is ready to serve. You can eat the dish with steamed rice and some freshly boiled vegetables.
#2. Teriyaki Beef
What to prepare:
- Pre-made teriyaki sauce
- 4 tbsp of oil
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- 200g of beef for 1 serving
- 1Slice the beef into thin slices. Unlike the chicken, beef is quite chewy so I think the best way is to slice the beef thin.
- 2Heat the pan with oil. Put the garlic in first then the beef later. Stir fry the beef really quick with medium-low heat. To avoid the chewy beef, we should do that fast with less heat.
- 3After the meat turns less pink than it was raw, quickly put the teriyaki sauce in. Stir quickly but nicely. Try to get all the beef to touch the pan’s hot sizzle surface evenly.
- 4Serve it hot. Add some pepper sprinkled on the top.
That’s the dish that I love. This dish goes really well with rice or noodle. You will need more vegetables to balance the meal. This one is also a great choice for a bar snack with a couple of beer and good friends.
#3. Teriyaki Salmon
Let’s begin with the list of ingredients:
- Teriyaki Sauce
- 150g of Salmon per serving
- 4 tbsp of oil
Now, here is how to cook salmon teriyaki step-by-step:
- 1Pour the oil and heat the pan nicely. When the pan is hot, put the salmon in (I prefer to slice the salmon into 1-finger thick) and simply turn 2 sides of the salmon gradually.
- 2Pour in the teriyaki sauce and let it simmer.
- 3Gently use a small spoon to spread the sauce on and off the piece of salmon until the sauce thickens.
The dish now is ready to serve with steamed rice. Salmon is very rich in nutrition so eating teriyaki salmon is really good for your health. I prefer the salmon to be medium rare so after I cook the 2 sides I take it out to rest and cook the sauce separately. After the sauce is nearly done, I will put the salmon back in to keep the dish hot. I love hot food!
Thank you so much for reading up here! I hope that the article helps you create the right teriyaki sauce for your taste. Teriyaki sauce can be a dipping sauce so you can create the saltier and thicker version to dip the vegetables or other dishes. You should try other dishes with teriyaki.
Wish you the best of health and good luck! See you next time!