Rice is a great side dish that you can pair with all sorts of meals. It is fairly easy to make, and very easy to store. But what do you do if you need to keep rice warm after you have cooked it?
If you have no idea how to keep rice warm, don’t fret. For this article, I will be sharing with you a couple of ways you can keep your rice warm for up to two hours after cooking, just in time to serve it for your family and friends.
Ways To Keep Rice Warm
When it comes to keeping rice warm as if it was freshly cooked, the best way to do so lies on the way the rice is cooked. Since rice is a versatile ingredient, it requires a specific cooking process in order to have the perfect soft and moist consistency.
The right way to cook rice, would be through a slow low heat process. Now there are several kitchen tools you can use to do this, here are some of them:
Using A Rice Cooker
The most common kitchen tool you can use to easily and quickly cook rice is your basic rice cooker. But if you want to keep your rice warm for an hour or so after it has been cooked, you should have a rice cooker that comes with a keep warm function.
However, you still shouldn’t solely rely on your rice cooker to keep your rice warm. You would still have to do a couple of things to ensure the best outcome for your rice.
What You Will Need:
- Rice Cooker With A Keep Warm Feature
What You Need To Do:
- Once your rice has been cooked, keep your rice cooker on and switch it to its keep warm mode
- Put about ¼ cup of water to your rice cooker every hour or so to keep your rice moist. When doing so, you should also mix your rice to avoid getting it toasted.
Using A Bamboo Steamer
Another great tool you can use to cook rice and keep it warm for a long period of time is a bamboo steamer. A bamboo steamer is often used to cook Chinese cuisine through steam.
It is a great kitchen tool that is capable of containing heat and moisture, which makes it perfect for cooking and containing rice.
What You Will Need:
- Bamboo Steamer
- Cheese Cloth
What You Should Do:
- Wash rice with cold water
- Place rice in a bowl of water for two hours
- Place the cheese cloth inside the bamboo steamer
- Drain the rice using a strainer
- Place the rice inside the bamboo steamer
- Fill your wok with enough water to completely submerge the bottom half of the bamboo steamer and heat up your wok until the water is boiling
- Place the bamboo steamer in your wok and let the rice cook
- Keep the rice in the bamboo steamer to keep it warm until served
A Quick Recap
Rice is a versatile ingredient that when cooked and stored properly, can give off a nice soft and moist feel to the mouth.
To achieve the best consistency for rice, you must cook it using kitchen tools that are capable of producing low and stable heat. Some kitchen tools you may use are rice cookers, crock-pots, and bamboo steamers.
Aside from being a great choice for cooking rice, these tools also make for a great container to keep rice warm over a couple of hours.
If you liked this article, and would like to know more about cooking, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below. Until next time, enjoy!